Saturday, August 01, 2009

Baby Projects

I have been keeping myself busy with a few sewing projects for baby #3. The biggest project was making her blessing dress. Emmy wore my blessing dress made by my mother, and Alison wore a dress made by Aaron's mom. I decided it was my turn to make a dress. It was really a fun project; I have never sewn anything this difficult before. My mom helped me understand the pattern and kept me from making any huge mistakes. The dress itself is very simple, so I chose some very pretty material to add to the beauty. I think it turned out really nice.
This is the slip that I made to go under the blessing dress. I think it is really pretty too.
I found a tutorial online for nursing covers. I wanted to make a new and improved version for this baby. It turned out nice; we'll see how it works when baby gets here.
I also found this idea online for pretty burp clothes. I had a little extra material left over from the nursing cover. I'm going to make a few more with some other material I have.
I made a new baby sling, and I hope that it fits right. Baby slings can be a little difficult to make just the right size. I have extra material just in case I need to make a new one when the baby gets here. I found a pattern online that included a pocket, so I improvised my own style of pocket. I'm really excited to try it out.
I decided to make a car seat tent. I have seen a couple of these around in the last month. We will have all three girls across the backseat of our car, so I thought the tent might help keep little hands from helping too much. I found a pattern for fabric flowers to add to the straps. They were really fun to make.
The girls had a great time playing with the car seat while I was sewing. Emmy had her little purple lamb sleeping in the seat all afternoon.
Now all I need is a baby. I washed the car seat and baby clothes this week. It's really fun and exciting to start getting things ready. I know that this last month will probably go by very quickly. The entire summer has just flown by so fast. It has cooled off a bit this last week; we are in the 80's again instead of the 90's. I feel much better; I can't believe how much of a difference a few degrees can make.

9 comments:

Kristine said...

Wow, you have been busy making baby things. They all look so good. I am very impressed.
Enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy. I hope it stays "cooler" in Utah for you.

Melissa said...

Hello, you are amazing! I don't think I had anything ready when my third came along, sigh... Your baby girl is going to be decked out!

stretchiute said...

Great job! I think those projects are perfect for this little girl. You will be so happy to have some 'original' things for her. Way to go.

The Shepherds said...

I'm impressed! You always pretend you are just an average seamstress. ;-)

Olson Family said...

I love it all. Maybe I should get a sewing machine and become Ms. Crafty Craft. The dress is gorgeous, really. I am so impressed.

Halliday's said...

What cute things! What sites did you get the patterns from?

Ms. Annika said...

Here are the links to the different tutorials that I used for the baby projects.

Car Seat Tent
http://thethriftychick.blogspot.com/2009/07/simple-car-seat-tent-tutorial.html

Fabric flowers
http://sewritzytitzy.blogspot.com/2008/11/from-annas-gardenfabric-flower-tutorial.html

Baby Sling tutorial
http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php

Nursing Cover
http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeeding123/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/

Burp Cloths
http://chickpeastudio.typepad.com/chickpea_sewing_studio/diaper-burp-cloth-tutoria.html

Laura said...

Holy cow! I love that blessing dress! It is beautiful! Nice work! And I love the car seat cover... so cute!!!

Hopkinson said...

you make me tired.