Sunday, June 28, 2009

Visit to Tulsa

Guest Writer: Aaron

I spent last week in Missouri at a conference for work and was close enough to Tulsa that after the conference ended on Thursday, I drove to the old place. My Tulsa mom, Chris Garber, picked me up after I dropped off the rental car, and I stayed with the Garber family Thursday and Friday nights. These are a few photos from my 36-hour stay in Oklahoma.

Knotty Pine is a great BBQ place in Sand Springs. Best baked beans on the planet and awesome sauce.

Mmmm. Let's see, we've got some baked beans, toast, pork ribs, brisket, bologna, hot links, and ham. God bless America.

My old pal DB at his place in Sand Springs. He manages several small newspapers in NE Oklahoma. Note the awkward dude-hug photo pose.


This is the chapel where I attended church for about 20 years, with time off for good behavior (college, mission, etc.). I have a lot of great memories of being a youth here.

This is my old house. Still felt like home as I approached the driveway. Really wierd to have a stranger answer the door.

This is the engraving in the driveway from when we moved in many years ago. My sisters will get a kick out of this. It says "Ken, Sue, Aaron, Karen, Darin 1990." Dad did the engraving, surely under the impression that if he had let me do it, we would have had to re-pave. Smart.

Good trip.

Many thanks to the Garbers for letting me borrow a car on Friday so I could tool around town and for letting me stay with them those two nights.

The best part was being able to see old friends and just visit for a while. I still keep in touch fairly regularly, but it's different when you are on home turf. I miss it/them already.

P.S. And I miss $.49 pops at QT. It'll take a while to get over that one.


2 comments:

Ken and Susie Lovell said...

What I wouldn´t do for some Knotty Pine Chopped Beef. Maybe a Ron´s Hamburger, too. And while we´re at it, a quick trip to the downtown Coney Islander. Great pictures. Great trip.

K Lange said...

They are $.59 in Arizona. What a rip off! Looks like you had a great time. So JEALOUS!